This year we expanded our store to sell more than just smokers and grills and outdoor kitchen equipment. We decided that we wanted to make Patio Galaxy a one-stop-shop for all things barbeque! We started with adding rubs to our inventory—barbecue rubs that is! Also known as “grill rubs” these rubs are a perfect blend of spices and herbs used to flavor and infuse different kinds of meat before you grill. Barbeque rubs are usually dry, although they can be wet, or paste-like. Grill rubs can be used on chicken, steak, pork, fish, shrimp, or turkey.
Dry rubs come in handy when you are cooking lean, healthy meats, because they can increase the flavor. First, coat the meat with a cooking spray and pat the meat with the dry rub of your choice. Then, loosely cover the meat with plastic wrap and refrigerate from fifteen minutes to twenty-four hours. Grill or cook the meat or poultry any way you like.
Kosmo’s and Traeger are our two most popular brands that we carry, but we have other brands available, and with our assortment of flavors, there is something for everyone.
Kosmo’s, a local brand based out of Tuttle, OK, southwest of Oklahoma City, ships their rubs all over the world. Their products have become the staple among competition BBQ masters everywhere!
Traeger’s house rub is perfect for any protein. A very versatile rub that features garlic and chili pepper and will become one of your seasoning staples.
To use a rub properly, gently pat your choice of meat or other protein dry with a paper towel. You will want to make sure as much moisture is removed as possible from the surface. Then simply sprinkle the dry rub onto. Using your hands, rub the spices onto the meat. Rub over the surface like you are trying to rub sunscreen onto your skin.
Here is a great recipe using a Traeger Rub
- 4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup salt
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 4 Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Pound chicken wings
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 Teaspoon ancho or chipotle chili pepper 1/4 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Traeger Rub
- Mix together brine ingredients with 4 cups of water in a large bowl or container until the brown sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add the wings to the brine. Cover and put in the refrigerator and let the wings brine for at least 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 180°F and preheat, keep the lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke if available.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry rub ingredients. Coat the wings with the rub on all sides. Place the wings on the grill and smoke them for 60-90 minutes. Remove them from the grill.
- Increase grill temperature to 450°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. Place the wings back on the grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until the wings are golden brown with a little bit of crunch.
If you need a place to stash your collection of rubs, our cedar TV cabinets have a space inside that is perfect for conveniently holding everything from your rubs to your remote controls, and cell phones, and there is enough space for cable boxes. Our very own custom, well-designed, handcrafted cedar TV cabinets have been copied, but the competitors’ styles cannot live up to the quality of ours. They give people the option of placing their TV outside while being protected from the elements, but also to act as an accessory to their projects, and in many instances, the focal point of their outdoor kitchens. We have spent years perfecting our cedar TV cabinets, and giving our customers the options of what size, style, and stain color, they prefer. What sets our cabinets apart is how they are made, their ability to keep dirt and moisture out, and the warranty that comes with them.
You can order all your barbecue rubs as well as our popular cedar TV cabinets on our website at www.patiogalaxy.com or you can call one of our retail sales associates and place your order over the phone (844) 476-4652. We also have an 18,000 square foot indoor and outdoor showroom at 7940 NW 39th Expressway Bethany, Oklahoma where we have individual appliances and full kitchens on display so that you can see and handle the products in person. We also have a Man Cave where we sell a wide variety of different sauces, rubs, and dusts for the meats that you will be cooking in your outdoor kitchen, as well as all the most popular brands of lump coal. Our tasting bar allows you to try before you buy, and you can ask your salesperson about our current specials!